Thursday 27 August 2009

A costly lapse

A SINGLE lapse of concentration was the difference between me being a driver this week and not being one as I failed my first practical driving test.

The critical moment came as I turned right on a light-controlled t-junction near the MetroCentre with around five minutes left on my way back to the Gateshead test centre on Wellington Road in Dunston.

Rather inexplicably, I had failed to take into account oncoming traffic and attempted to follow the car in front round the junction.

But, in doing so, I only narrowly avoided an accident as the examiner had to slam on the brakes and I got the shock of my life.

Unsurprisingly, this was marked down to be dangerous and completely spoiled a competent drive up until then during which my nerve had held out better than expected.

I had 'only' picked up eight minors but, obviously, I cannot argue with the result.

Indeed, I am satisfied in a way that I did not pass as it should hopefully stop me from doing something so stupid again when I am on the roads myself.

But I was also naturally gutted to have done such a stupid move at the end of one of my best drives.

The test started at the somewhat precise time of 10.24 in typical British summer weather - i.e. heavy rain.

After the standard eye-sight test and show-me, tell-me questions, I was asked to perform my first manoeuvre straightaway - a bay park at the test centre.

Fortunately, I had only just practiced this on the way in with my driving instructor, David Convery, and replicated it to make a strong start.

I then drove north on the A1 carriageway for four miles to Westerhope in Newcastle where I was asked to do my second manoeuvre, a reverse around a curved corner.

This was less successful as I went too fast to follow my reference properly and at one stage my tyres touched the kerb.

But I was able to correct the car successfully and quickly enough to avoid anything more than that being one of my eight minors.

After this, I headed back to Dunston via the West Road, Denton and Scotswood Bridge.

But then came the gut-wrenching feeling of failure after my horrific error with only a few junctions left.

As well as the cost of taking another test, another hugely disappointing factor is the unavoidable delay until my next go.

My second attempt will be on October 2nd, the gap of five weeks being caused by both myself and my instructor going away straight after one another in the meantime.

Hopefully, by then, I will have cut out the ridiculous mistakes and that good things indeed come to those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment