Tuesday 16 June 2009

On the road again...

Three and a half years since I last tried to learn to drive, I've decided to give it another go.

I had planned originally to do this first post a few days earlier but I wanted to see how well I would progress in first few lessons.

I have now completed 10 hours of a semi-intensive course which I started on Saturday with David Convery.

Unsurprisingly there have been some ups and downs already and, before lessons, I have struggled to contain the nerves or ignore nagging doubts.

I've already blogged on how nervous I've got in the past - it's almost to the point of fear.

But at least I've done better than last time when I only managed a few hours and didn't even graduate from going round and round the same patch of grass in the Team Valley.

At least now I'm driving from the front door and through proper housing estates in Winlaton - and between Winlaton, Rowlands Gill and High Spen. I even got in fifth gear once!

Since the first lesson, I have improved on handling the car, my use of speed and my awareness of what to do at junctions. I can drive the car in the higher gears without much of a problem.

But, frustratingly, I still frequently stall by failing to keep my feet still and releasing the gas before lifting the clutch in first gear. Grrr...

David, the instructor, is doing his best to improve matters and I'm glad I have chosen him as I seem most likely to pass (eventually) with him.

Today, in my fourth session, I did numerous hill starts and no fewer than four turns in the road with the aim of improving my clutch control.

But, as I finished the lesson, it remained as inconsistent as ever.

Fortunately enough, I have another three hours in the car tomorrow morning with yet more practice on the clutch and I'm ruddy determined to overcome this.

It would certainly be nice to have sorted by the time I go on holiday to the Glastonbury Festival next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment