Monday 23 March 2009

Welcome

Welcome to The Intrepid Reporter, a blog mainly about British journalism.
First, a little bit about me (though I will spare you the finer details)... in February 2009, I completed the NCTJ preliminary certificate, the industry-recognised qualification in journalism, at Darlington College. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a job as a trainee reporter within the industry, despite having passed all of the exams and built a decent portfolio through work experience.
This is not a major surprise considering the current state of the industry - more on that in the coming days - and so this blog can be considered as a way of me letting off steam by allowing my fingers on a computer keyboard.
While I do not think you can ever predict exactly how a blog will turn out right from its inception, I expect that most posts will relate to my views of the media coverage of current affairs and major sporting events.
(At this stage, I feel it is only responsible to warn you that I am a Newcastle United supporter and predict that I will be majorly depressed in May).
But to keep myself cheery, I also plan to include smaller features such as famous quotations about journalism and haikus, just because they’re fun.
And if it is pertinent, I will update you on how my own attempts to break into the industry have fared. If I am feeling generous, I may even pass on tips to current candidates sitting the NCTJ exams.
Feel free to comment and disagree with any of my posts or to ask for advice regarding the NCTJ, but please refrain from racist, sexist or homophobic language and beware of the libel laws.
Enjoy the blog!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Pete - I'll be following your musings with great interest!

    ReplyDelete