Thursday 9 April 2009

The power of people

The generosity of some people never ceases to amaze me sometimes.

After my lament on the closure of Press Gazette was noticed by the excellent FleetStreetBlues blog, one of its readers (presumably), calling themselves Outraged, suggested I tried the nearby Camden New Journal to fill the gap.

With my transport and accommodation still booked and nothing to lose, it was worth a shot.

And after a brief exchange of emails this afternoon, my application for the w/c May 18th was successful.

So this is just a short post to say thanks to FleetStreetBlues and 'Outraged'.

While I often despair about the state of the industry as a whole, it's clear that the vast majority of the people working in it are like gold and are always willing to help out a fellow hack.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, it's 'Outraged' again. Though I'm a bit confused because that happened to be the persona available when I published the comment, rather than an intentional pseudonym!

    Am so pleased to read that you were able to get work experience at the CNJ so that your week and organisational efforts aren't wasted. I'm a firm believer that we hacks should help each other out, even in these difficult times!

    CNJ is definitely a good publication to have on your CV. While you're there, don't be afraid to be proactive and ask to shadow their reporters, who go out and about a lot (they're usually quite good about taking workies out). They're a nice bunch, though at first may seem to be too busy to be nice - but I think that's a very typical journalist profile!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete