Friday 11 February 2011

Best foot forward

THE GREAT North Run is a massive annual event on the North East calendar - and I don't just mean on the sporting calendar.

In fact, the race from Newcastle to South Shields attracts over 50,000 entries and hours of BBC coverage, making it the world's most iconic half marathon.

This year, two days before my 28th birthday, I should be taking my place on the start line (or some way behind it) with thousands of others.

Yes, I have been 'fortunate' enough to be selected in the general ballot - but, already, part of me is absolutely petrified of what I have let myself in for.

Like many novice entrants into the Great North Run, I have never run 13.1 miles in my life - and I suspect I will never again do so after September.

For the record, the furthest I have officially run was 5.7 miles in the 2004 Blaydon Race but that was now more than six-and-a-half years ago.

Indeed, my last attempt at a proper run was last year's Sport Relief Mile in Gateshead's Saltwell Park when I just about collapsed over the line having been drinking until 3am that morning.

That was over just one measly mile and, though the late night undoubtedly did not help, it was still an embarrassing indictment of my fitness.

Since then, the poor state of my cardio has been playing on my mind hence the rather rash entry into the Great North Run.

But, having paid my entry fee and gained a place, it seems wrong to waste the chance of ticking off one of the things I have always wanted to do in my life.

In preparation, I plan to train up for and re-enter this year's Blaydon Race (now 5.9 miles) on 9th June, Geordie Day.

However, most of my Great North Run training will be made in the 12 weeks after the usual indulgences of the Glastonbury Festival.

Yes, once again, I will be making the annual pilgrimage at the end of June to Michael Eavis' Worthy Farm in Somerset to see - among other things - Beyonce Knowles shake her booty.

The July to September plan is probably leaving myself short of doing justice to the run to South Shields.

But, like my mum and my sister in 2009, and countless others before and since, I will more than likely just be happy to finish having picked up my fitness a little.

A moment of madness to be regretted or a great chance for personal achievement?

I suppose all will be revealed on Sunday 18th September.

No comments:

Post a Comment